The definition of a horoscope is an astrological forecast for a day, week, month or year based on the position of the stars and planets at a specific point in time.noun
An example of a horoscope is the prediction for a Gemini's life and loves on a specific date.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the position of the planets and stars with relation to one another at a given time, esp. at the time of a person's birth, regarded in astrology as determining one's destiny
- a chart of the zodiacal signs and the positions of the planets, etc.
- a forecast based on such a chart, usually a set of twelve predictions for the twelve signs of the zodiac
Origin: Fr < L horoscopus < Gr hōroskopos, observer of the hour of birth < hōra, hour + skopos, watcher, by metathesis < IE *spokos < base *spek-, to spy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The aspect of the planets and stars at a given moment, such as the moment of a person's birth, used by astrologers.b. A diagram of the signs of the zodiac based on such an aspect.
- An astrological forecast, as of a person's future, based on a diagram of the aspect of the planets and stars at a given moment.
Origin: French, from Old French, from Latin hōroscopus, from Greek hōroskopos : hōrā, hour, season; see yēr- in Indo-European roots + skopos, observer; see spek- in Indo-European roots.