- kingdom in N India in the 15th & 16th cent.
- region in N India, between the Vindhya Mountains & the Himalayas, where Hindi is spoken
- the entire Indian subcontinent
- name for the Republic of India
Origin of Hindustansee Hindustani
A historical region of India considered at various times to include only the upper Ganges River plateau or all of northern India from the Himalaya Mountains to the Deccan Plateau and from the Punjab to Assam. The term has also been applied to the entire Indian subcontinent.
- an alternative name for India (the whole country)
Persian هند (hind, “India”) + ستان (stān, “-stan”).