- The definition of heterodox is something outside of usually accepted beliefs.
An example of heterodox is a Catholic priest practicing a Wiccan ritual.
departing from or opposed to the usual beliefs or established doctrines, esp. in religion; inclining toward heresy; unorthodox
Origin of heterodoxEcclesiastical Greek heterodoxos ; from Classical Greek hetero-, hetero- + doxa, opinion, akin to dokein, to think, seem: see decent
- Not in agreement with accepted beliefs, especially in church doctrine or dogma.
- Holding unorthodox opinions.
Origin of heterodoxGreek heterodoxos : hetero-, hetero- + doxa, opinion (from dokein, to think; see dek- in Indo-European roots).
- Of or pertaining to creeds, beliefs, or teachings, especially religious ones, that are different from the norm ('orthodox'), but not sufficiently different to be called heretical.
- The Church of Alexandria in Egypt is considered heterodox, not heretical.