hagiography[hag′ē äg′rə fē, hā′jē-]
- a book or writing, or an assemblage of these, about the lives of saints
- such books or writings as a field of study
Origin of hagiographyhagio- + -graphy
- a. The writing of the lives of saints.b. A biography of a saint.
- a. The writing of an admiring or idealized biography.b. An admiring or idealized biography.
- hag′i·o·graph′ic , hag′i·o·graph′i·cal
(countable and uncountable, plural hagiographies)
From Ancient Greek ἅγιος (hagios, “holy”) + -γραφία (-graphia, “writing”).