A bird perched on guano covered rocks.
guano definition by Webster's New World
Webster\'s New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- manure of seabirds, found especially on islands off the coast of Peru
- any natural or artificial fertilizer resembling this, as bat manure
Origin of guanoSpanish ; from Quechua huanu, dung
guano definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A substance composed chiefly of the dung of seabirds or bats, accumulated along certain coastal areas or in caves and used as fertilizer.
- Any of various similar substances, such as a fertilizer prepared from ground fish parts.
Origin of guanoSpanish, from Quechua huanu, dung.
guano definition by Wiktionary
- Dung from a sea bird or from a bat.
- 1982: "grazes on bat excrement, delicately referred to as ‘bat guano’ in this week's Nature." —physics!tpkq, net.games.rogue
- 1995: "The great white bat has great white guano!" —Jim Carrey, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls