- The definition of greige is a color somewhere between beige and grey.
When the clouds are turning a light beige-grey as part of the earliest onset of a storm, this is an example of a time when they are greige.
- unbleached and undyed cloth or yarn
- a color blending gray and beige
Origin of greigeFrench grège, raw (silk) ; from Italian (seta) greggia ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form gredius, raw
Not bleached or dyed; unfinished. Used of textiles.
Origin of greigeAlteration (perhaps influenced by grey and beige) of French grège, from Italian greggio, unbleached, raw, probably from Vulgar Latin *gregius, of or from the flock of sheep, from Latin grex, greg-, herd, flock; see ger- in Indo-European roots.
- (of textiles) Unfinished; not fully processed; neither bleached nor dyed.
- The rolls of greige cloth sat on the factory floor waiting to be printed.