Variant of government
- the exercise of authority over a state, district, organization, institution, etc.; direction; control; rule; management
- the right, function, or power of governing
- a system of ruling, controlling, etc.
- an established system of political administration by which a nation, state, district, etc. is governed: we need honest government
- the study of such systems; political science
- all the people or agencies that administer or control the affairs of a nation, state, institution, etc.; administration: the election resulted in a new government
- the executive or administrative branch of government of a particular nation as constituted by the political party or coalition in power: a Labor government in Great Britain
- Now Rare a governed territory
- Gram. the influence of one word over the case or mood of another
Origin: OFr governement: see govern and amp; -ment
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.