An open railroad freight car with low sides.
Variant of gondola
- a long, narrow boat for a few passengers used on the canals of Venice, having a high, pointed prow and stern and propelled by a single long oar at the stern
- ☆ a flat-bottomed river barge
- ☆ a railroad freight car with no top and, often, with low sidesalso gondola car
- ☆ a cabin suspended under an airship or balloon, for holding the motors, instruments, passengers, etc.
- ☆ a car suspended from and moved along a cable, for holding passengers
Origin of gondolaItalian (Venetian) ; from Rhaeto-Romanic (dial.) gondolá, to rock