- something that flows; esp., an abnormal flow of bodily fluids; discharge
- Archaic, Math.
- the rate of continuous change in variable quantities
- derivative (sense )
Origin of fluxionFrench from Vulgar Latin fluxio, for Classical Latin fluctio, a flowing from past participle of fluere, to flow: see fluctuate
- a. A flow or flowing.b. Continual change.
- Archaic a. See derivative.b. fluxions Differential calculus.
Origin of fluxionFrench from Late Latin flūxiō flūxiōn- from Latin flūxus flux ; see flux .
- (rare or archaic) The action of flowing