fluxion definition by Webster's New World
- something that flows; esp., an abnormal flow of body fluids; discharge
- Math., Archaic
- the rate of continuous change in variable quantities
- derivative (sense )
Origin: French ; from Vulgar Latin fluxio, for Classical Latin fluctio, a flowing ; from past participle of fluere, to flow: see fluctuate
fluxion definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A flow or flowing.b. Continual change.
- Archaic a. See derivative.b. fluxions Differential calculus.
Origin: French, from Late Latin flūxiō, flūxiōn-, from Latin flūxus, flux; see flux.
- fluxˈion·al, fluxˈion·arˌy adjective
- fluxˈion·al·ly adverb