ethnomusicology[et̸h′nō myo̵̅o̅′zi käl′ə jē]
- the study of the music of a particular region and its sociocultural implications, esp. of music outside the European art tradition
- the comparative study of the music of different cultural groups
- The scientific study of music, especially traditional or non-Western music, as an aspect of culture.
- The comparative study of music of different cultures.
(usually uncountable, plural ethnomusicologies)
- (music) The study of music and culture; the study of music as it relates to its cultural context