(et̸h′nō myo̵̅o̅′zi käl′ə jē)
- the study of the music of a particular region and its sociocultural implications, esp. of music outside the European art tradition
- the comparative study of the music of different cultural groups
See ethnomusicology in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- The scientific study of music, especially traditional or non-Western music, as an aspect of culture.
- The comparative study of music of different cultures.
- ethˌno·muˌsi·co·logˈi·cal (-kə-lŏjˈĭ-kəl) adjective
- ethˌno·muˌsi·colˈo·gist noun
Learn more about ethnomusicology