- the branch of anthropology that deals descriptively with specific cultures, esp. those of nonliterate peoples or groups
- ethnographic research
- pl. -·phies an ethnographic report, monograph, etc.
Origin of ethnographyFrench ethnographie: see ethno- and -graphy
- The branch of anthropology that deals with the description of specific human cultures, using methods such as close observation and interviews.
- A text produced using such methods.
- eth′no·graph′ic eth′no·graph′i·cal
(plural ethnographys or ethnographies)
ethno- + -graphy