- The central point of an earthquake is an example of an epicenter.
- A troubled child who is the central point of his parents concern is an example of an epicenter of concern.
- the area of the earth's surface directly above the place of origin, or focus, of an earthquake
- a focal or central point
Origin of epicenter; from Modern Latin epicentrum ; from epi- + Classical Latin centrum, center
- The point on the earth's surface directly above the focus of an earthquake.
- The focal point of a usually harmful or unpleasant phenomenon or event; the center: stood at the epicenter of the international crisis.
- (US) Alternative spelling of epicentre.
- ground zero