- Edomite is defined as something related to an ancient region of the Dead Sea called Edom.
Something related to the region of Edom is an example of something described as Edomite.
- The definition of an Edomite is a person who lived in Edom during biblical times.
A woman in biblical times who lived in Edom is an example of an Edomite.
- A member of a Semitic people inhabiting ancient Edom.
- The Semitic language of the Edomites.
Edom + -ite
- Saul, whose chief herdsman, Doeg, was an Edomite (I Sam.
- Naphtali and Dan are "brothers," perhaps partly on geographical grounds, but Dan also had a seat in the south (south-west of Ephraim), and the name of the "mother" Bilhah is apparently connected with Bilhan, an Edomite and also a Benjamite name (Gen.
- Hence it is noteworthy that the late editor of Judges has given the first place to Othniel, a Kenizzite, and therefore of Edomite affinity, though subsequently reckoned as a Judaean (Judg i.
- To a certain extent it would seem that even as Chronicles (q.v.) has passed through the hands of one who was keenly interested in the Temple service, so the other historical books have been shaped not only by the late priestly writers (symbolized in literary criticism by P), but also by rather earlier writers, also of priestly sympathies, but of " southern " or half-Edomite affinity.
- Edomite) unceasingly opposed him.