A city of eastern South Africa on Durban Bay, an inlet of the Indian Ocean. Visited by Vasco da Gama as early as 1497, the site was settled by the British in 1824. Durban is a major seaport and year-round resort.x
- Seaport in Natal Province, Republic of South Africa.
- Of Durban, 110 m.
- The southern entrance to Durban harbour is marked by a bold bluff, the Bluff of Natal, which is 250 ft.
- Although the division of the country into terraces separated by ranges of hills is clearly marked in various districts, as for instance between Durban and Colenso, the province is traversed by many secondary chains, as well as by spurs of the Drakensberg.
- Other rivers of Natal which rise in the spurs of the Drakensberg or in the higher terraces are the Umvoti, which runs south of the Tugela and gives its name to a county division, the Umlaas (which gives Durban its main water supply, the Illovo, which traverse .the country between Lthe Umgeni and Umkomaas, and the Umtamvuna, noteworthy as forming the boundary between Natal and Pondoland.
- The mean temperature at Durban, records taken at 260 ft.