Djibouti definition by Webster's New World
- country in E Africa, on the Gulf of Aden: 8,958 sq mi (23,201 sq km); pop. 695,000
- its capital, a seaport: pop. 383,000
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Djiboutian adjective, noun
Djibouti definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A country of eastern Africa on the Gulf of Aden. Djibouti was a French colony from 1896 until 1946 and a territory from 1946 until its independence in 1977. It was called French Somaliland from 1896 to 1967 and the French Territory of Afars and Issas from 1967 to 1977. Population: 496,000.
- The capital and largest city of Djibouti, in the southeast part of the country on an inlet of the Gulf of Aden. It was founded by the French in 1888. Population: 623,000.