transitive verb-·lat·ed, -·lat·ing
- to make dissimilar
- to cause to undergo dissimilation
Origin of dissimilatedis- + (as)similate
to become dissimilar
verbdis·sim·i·lat·ed, dis·sim·i·lat·ing, dis·sim·i·lates
- To make unlike or dissimilar.
- Linguistics To cause to undergo dissimilation.
- To become unlike or dissimilar.
- Linguistics To undergo dissimilation.
Origin of dissimilatedis- (as)similate
(third-person singular simple present dissimilates, present participle dissimilating, simple past and past participle dissimilated)