- Bot. the state of having two different kinds of leaves, flowers, stamens, etc. on the same plant or in the same species
- Mineralogy the property of crystallizing in two forms
- Zool. the occurrence of two types of individuals in the same species, distinct in coloring, size, etc.
Origin of dimorphismfrom Classical Greek dimorphos, having two forms ( from di-, two + morph?, form) + -ism
- Biology The existence among animals of the same species of two distinct forms that differ in one or more characteristics, such as coloration, size, or shape.
- Botany The occurrence of two distinct forms of the same parts in one plant, as in the juvenile and adult leaves of ivy.
- Chemistry & Physics Dimorphic crystallization.
di- + -morphism