- the unlawful detention of personal property which originally was rightfully acquired
- an action or writ for the recovery of property unlawfully detained, as in a pawnshop
Origin of detinueMiddle English ; from OFr, feminine past participle of detenir: see detain
- a. An action to recover possession or the value of property wrongfully detained.b. The writ authorizing such action.
- The act of unlawfully detaining personal property.
Origin of detinueMiddle English detenue, from Old French, detention, from feminine past participle of detenir, to detain; see detain.
- A person or thing detained; a detainee.
- (law) A legal action to reclaim goods wrongfully detained.
detinue - Legal Definition
At common law, an action to recover personal property wrongly held by another.