- The definition of a decoder is a person or tool that figures out a scrambled message.
An example of a decoder is a machine that figures out the letter equivalent of a message written in all numbers.
decoder definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a person who decodes messages
- a device that decodes scrambled messages sent by telephone
- in an electronic digital computer, a circuit device that determines the content of a given instruction or performs digital-to-analog conversion
decoder definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that decodes.
- A device that decodes a scrambled electronic signal to make it interpretable.
decoder - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop EncyclopediaTHIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLYAll other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
decoder - Science Definition
An electronic or software device that converts telecommunication signals from their transmitted form into a form interpretable to other devices or to human beings.