The definition of a decoder is a person or tool that figures out a scrambled message.
An example of a decoder is a machine that figures out the letter equivalent of a message written in all numbers.
- a person who decodes messages
- a device that decodes scrambled messages sent by telephone
- in an electronic digital computer, a circuit device that determines the content of a given instruction or performs digital-to-analog conversion
- an electronic device that converts a digitized signal, as of a cable TV channel, to its original form
- One that decodes.
- A device that decodes a scrambled electronic signal to make it interpretable.
OriginSee also: décoder
decode + -er