Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a worker or device that corks bottles
- a remarkable person or thing
- an argument, statement, etc. that appears conclusive
- a preposterous lie
Origin: slang senses < cork in sense “stopper”
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that corks bottles, for example.
- Slang A remarkable or astounding person or thing.