- an Egyptian who is a descendant of Egypt's ancient inhabitants
- a member of the Coptic Church
Origin of CoptModern Latin Coptus: see Coptic
- A member of a historically Christian people of Egypt.
- A member of the Coptic Church.
Origin of CoptFrench Copte from New Latin Coptus from Arabic Qub&tlowdot; Copts from Coptic Gyptias from Greek Aiguptios an Egyptian from Aiguptos Egypt from Egyptian hwt-k'-pth the name of the temple of Ptah at Memphis hwt house k' life force, spirit pth Ptah
(third-person singular simple present coöpts, present participle coöpting, simple past and past participle coöpted)
- Alternative spelling of co-opt.