- An example of a commissioner is one of those elected to a county board in order to make local government decisions.
- An example of a commissioner is a police commissioner.
The definition of a commissioner is someone authorized to make a decision or an order by a commission, or a government official who is in charge of a department.
- a person authorized to do certain things by a commission or warrant
- a member of a commission (sense )
- an official in charge of a certain government bureau, commission, departmental office, etc.
- an official appointed to administer a territory, province, etc.
- ⌂ a person selected to regulate and control a professional sport or an association of amateur athletic teams
nounAbbr. Com. or Comr.
- A member of a commission.
- A person authorized by a commission to perform certain duties.
- A governmental official in charge of a department: a police commissioner.
- Sports An official selected by an athletic association or league to exercise administrative or regulatory powers over it: a baseball commissioner.