- a person authorized to do certain things by a commission or warrant
- a member of a commission (sense )
- an official in charge of a certain government bureau, commission, departmental office, etc.
- an official appointed to administer a territory, province, etc.
- a person selected to regulate and control a professional sport or an association of amateur athletic teams
- An example of a commissioner is one of those elected to a county board in order to make local government decisions.
- An example of a commissioner is a police commissioner.
The definition of a commissioner is someone authorized to make a decision or an order by a commission, or a government official who is in charge of a department.
nounAbbr. Com. or Comr.
- A member of a commission.
- A person authorized by a commission to perform certain duties.
- A governmental official in charge of a department: a police commissioner.
- Sports An official selected by an athletic association or league to exercise administrative or regulatory powers over it: a baseball commissioner.
- In 1904 the financial and legal administration was put into the hands of the British High Commissioner for the Western Pacific. The native king is assisted by a legislative assembly consisting, in equal numbers, of hereditary nobles and popular (elected) representatives.
- He joined Mary at Paris in September, and in 156 1 was sent by her as a commissioner to summon the parliament; in February he arrived in Edinburgh and was chosen a privy councillor on the 6th of September.
- A European commissioner resides.
- For the government of the state see The Revised Laws of Vermont (Rutland, 1881); the Vermont Legislative Directory, published biennially at Montpelier; the biennial reports of the secretary of state, the auditor, the treasurer, the commissioner of state taxes, the superintendent of education, the supervisors of the insane, &c., and the annual reports of the inspector of finance.
- Singapore is the political, commercial and administrative headquarters of the colony of the Straits Settlements, and the governor for the time being is ex officio high commissioner of the Federated Malay States, British North Borneo, Sarawak, the Cocos-Keeling and Christmas Islands, and governor of Labuan.