- a technique for restraining or subduing a person by locking one's arms around the person's neck
- firm or absolute control over some activity, process, etc.
A restraining move in which one person seizes another around the neck in a tight grip, typically from behind.
- (martial arts, wrestling) A grappling hold around the neck that cuts off the flow of air to the brain
- He put his opponent in a chokehold.
- (by extension) A strong and powerful grasp on something
- Your country has a chokehold on our economy.