- any of several, usually bushlike, trees (genus Castanea) of the beech family, esp. the dwarf chestnut
- any of various species (genus Castanopsis) of evergreen trees of the beech family, found in W U.S. and Asia
- the edible nut of any of these trees
Origin of chinquapinof Algonquian origin, originally
- A chestnut (Castanea pumila) of eastern North America that grows as a shrub or small tree.
- Any of several evergreen trees or shrubs of the family Fagaceae, including species in the genera Chrysolepis of western North America and Castanopsis of East and Southeast Asia.
- The edible nut of any of these plants.
Origin of chinquapinOf Algonquian origin; akin to Virginia Algonquin chechinkamin, chestnut.
- Any of the shrubs in the genus Castanopsis.
- Any of the several trees and shrubs in the genus Chrysolepis.
- Some of the species in the chestnut genus Castanea.
- A chinkapin oak (Quercus muhlenbergii), a species of oak whose leaves resemble those of chinkapins
- A water-chinquapin, the water plant Nelumbo lutea, American lotus.
- The redear sunfish (Lepomis microlophus)