- the mistress of a castle or château
- the mistress of any large household
- a woman's ornamental chain or clasp, esp. one worn at the waist, with keys or a purse, watch, etc. fastened to it
Origin of chatelaineFrench châtelaine, feminine of chatelain
- a. The mistress of a castle.b. The mistress of a large, fashionable household.
- A clasp or chain worn at the waist for holding keys, a purse, a watch, or other small household items.
Origin of chatelaineFrench châtelaine feminine of châtelain chatelain from Old French chastelain ; see chatelain.
1781 gold and enamel English chatelaine