- the chemical group CO
- any of a wide variety of compounds containing this group, esp. certain metal compounds
Origin of carbonylcarbon + -yl
- The bivalent group C&bond2;O.
- A metal compound, such as Ni(CO)4, containing the CO group.
- (organic chemistry) In organic chemistry, a divalent functional group, (-CO-), characteristic of aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, amides, carboxylic acid anhydrides, carbonyl halides, esters and others.
- (inorganic chemistry) Any compound of a metal with carbon monoxide, such as nickel carbonyl, Ni(CO)4.