- in Spanish America, an Indian chief
- in Spanish America and Spain, a local political boss
- any of various tropical American blackbirds (family Icteridae) with conical bills
Origin: Sp < Arawak word meaning “prince,” “lord”
- caciquism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An Indian chief, especially in the Spanish West Indies and other parts of Latin America during colonial and postcolonial times.
- A local political boss in Spain or Latin America.
Origin: American Spanish, from Arawak kassequa, chieftain.