- any of various trees (genus Aesculus) of the horse-chestnut family with large capsules enclosing shiny brown seeds
- the seed
- Informal a person born or living in Ohio, called the Buckeye State
Origin of buckeyebuck + eye: from the appearance of the seed
- a. Any of several North American trees or shrubs of the genus Aesculus, having palmately compound leaves, erect panicles of white, yellow, or red flowers, and a leathery capsule containing one or more large seeds. All parts of the plant are poisonous.b. The large shiny brown seed of any of these plants.
- A nymphalid butterfly (Junonia coenia) of North America, having brownish wings with orange markings and conspicuous eyespots.
Origin of buckeyebuck1 + eye.
- A native or resident of the American state of Ohio.
- A common name for the Junonia coenia butterfly.