booby trapbooby trap
- any device or scheme, as in a practical joke, for tricking a person
- a bomb or mine that is set to be exploded by some action of the intended victim, as when some seemingly harmless object is lifted
- An explosive device designed to be triggered when an unsuspecting victim touches or disturbs a seemingly harmless object.
- A situation that catches one off guard; a pitfall.
(plural booby traps)
From booby (“dunce, idiot”).
- Alternative spelling of booby trap.
(third-person singular simple present booby-traps, present participle booby-trapping, simple past and past participle booby-trapped)
- To set up with booby traps; to plant a booby trap on.