- a gunners' platform extending along the inside of a trench or parapet
- South a raised way; sidewalk
- an upholstered bench, esp. one along a wall in a restaurant
Origin of banquetteFr, diminutive of Norman banque, earthwork from Dutch bank, bank
- A platform lining a trench or parapet wall on which soldiers may stand when firing.
- also ban·kit Southern Louisiana & East Texas A raised sidewalk. beignet
- A long upholstered bench placed against or built into a wall.
Origin of banquetteFrench from Provençal banqueta diminutive of banca bench of Germanic origin
- A (typically upholstered) bench-like seat that runs along a wall.
- A similar bench in a military trench which soldiers stand on to shoot.
- (southern Louisiana, eastern Texas) A sidewalk.