- a gunners' platform extending along the inside of a trench or parapet
- ⌂ South a raised way; sidewalk
- an upholstered bench, esp. one along a wall in a restaurant
Origin of banquetteFr, diminutive of Norman banque, earthwork ; from Dutch bank, bank
- A platform lining a trench or parapet wall on which soldiers may stand when firing.
- also ban·kit Southern Louisiana & East Texas A raised sidewalk. See Note at beignet.
- A long upholstered bench placed against or built into a wall.
- A ledge or shelf, as on a buffet.
Origin of banquetteFrench, from Provençal banqueta, diminutive of banca, bench, of Germanic origin.
- A (typically upholstered) bench-like seat that runs along a wall.
- A similar bench in a military trench which soldiers stand on to shoot.
- (southern Louisiana, eastern Texas) A sidewalk.