- a gem, etc. cut in the shape of a narrow oblong, often tapered at one end
- this shape
- a long, thin loaf of bread
- Archit. a small, convex molding
Origin of baguetteFrench baguette, a rod from Italian bacchetta, diminutive of bacchio, a pole, cudgel from Classical Latin baculum, a stick: see bacillus
- A long narrow loaf of French bread.
- a. A gem cut in the form of a narrow rectangle.b. The form of such a gem.
- Architecture A narrow convex molding.
- A shallow rectangular handbag.
Origin of baguetteFrench rod from Italian bacchetta diminutive of bacchio rod from Latin baculum stick ; see bak- in Indo-European roots.
top: loaf of French bread bottom: handbag