- Present participle of attenuate.
Variant of attenuate
transitive verbattenuated, attenuating
- to make slender or thin
- to dilute or rarefy
- to lessen in severity, value, amount, intensity, etc.; weaken
- Electronics to reduce the amplitude or strength of (an electrical signal)
- Microbiol. to reduce the virulence of (a bacterium or virus) usually to make a vaccine
Origin of attenuate; from Classical Latin attenuatus, past participle of attenuare, to make thin ; from ad- to + tenuare ; from tenuis, thin
to become thin, weak, etc.
- Bot. tapering gradually to a point, as the base of a leaf