- a hymn, psalm, etc. chanted or sung in responsive, alternating parts
- anything composed for responsive chanting or singing
- verses chanted or a piece of plainsong sung before or after a psalm, canticle, etc.
Origin of antiphonEcclesiastical Medieval Latin antiphona: see anthem
- A devotional composition sung responsively as part of a liturgy.
- a. A short liturgical text chanted or sung responsively preceding or following a psalm, psalm verse, or canticle.b. Such a text formerly used as a response but now rendered independently.
- A response; a reply: “It would be truer … to see [conservation] as an antiphon to the modernization of the 1950s and 1960s” ( Raphael Samuel )
Origin of antiphonLate Latin antiphōna sung responses ; see anthem .