YourDictionary is owned by LoveToKnow Corporation, an innovative online media company with rapid fire growth. The family of privately-held LoveToKnow web sites is dedicated to providing useful, high quality and unique content to Internet users.
Easy-to-Use Source for Word Information
YourDictionary is the easiest-to-use online dictionary. It is a dictionary you can understand with lots of tools to help you choose your words precisely, understand a word, avoid usage pitfalls and be confident in your use of words.
You will find:
- Simple, easy-to-understand definitions
- Pronunciation help - See and hear how to pronounce a word
- Parts of speech - Learn how a word is used as a verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction or interjection
- Examples of a word - Read clear illustrations of the meaning of a word
- Sentence examples - See examples of a word used in sentences
- Quotations - See a word in use in famous quotes
- Etymology (origin) or a word - Learn the history or source of a word
- Browsing help - Check out related or similar words
Comprehensive Reference Source
YourDictionary is a comprehensive reference site. To add to your knowledge and understanding of words and grammar, YourDictionary also provides:
- Additional definitions and information - Broaden your perspective on a word with definitions from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th edition, Webster's New World College Dictionary, Wiktionary and Ologies & Isms.
- Words with the same or similar meanings - Find synonyms, comparisons, examples and related terms and ideas for a word in the Webster's New World Roget's A-Z Thesaurus.
- Specialty definitions - Learn how the word is used in various occupations and interest areas including: computer, investment & finance and law.
- Biographical information - Broaden your knowledge of history and different cultures with the biographies of over 7,000 notable current and historical figures detailed in the Encyclopedia of World Biography and the biographies created for you by the YourDictionary editors.
- Related articles – Learn more about how to understand and use words in an incredible archive of grammar, education, esl and reference articles.
- Word list tools to improve vocabulary - Save vocabulary words to a personal word list to practice spelling or share them publicly. Check out the public word lists to find new words to study.
- Flashcard tools to practice vocabulary - Use flashcards to practice spelling or quiz yourself on definitions of words on your word lists or any public word list.
- Games to expand vocabulary - Use Word Finder for help with word games like Words With Friends, Scrabble and 4 Pics 1 Word.
- Usage tips - Follow YourDictionary on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ for editor tips on seasonal words, grammar hints and fun definitions.
Last Word in Words
YourDictionary has been recognized as a definitive source for word information and has been featured in many prominent media sources, including these world-famous organizations: