- a French title of respect, given to a priest, minister, etc.
- a priest, minister, etc. addressed with this title
Origin of abbéFrench from Ecclesiastical Late Latin abbas from LGr(Ec), abbot
nounRoman Catholic Church
- Used as a title for the superior of a monastery in a French-speaking area.
- Used as a title for a cleric in major or minor orders in a French-speaking area.
Origin of abbeFrench from Old French abbe from Late Latin abbās abbāt- abbot ; see abbot .
- An honorific title for a member of the French clergy. [mid 16th century]