red oakred oak
- any of several oaks having leaves with sharp-tipped lobes, dark bark, and acorns which require two years to mature
- the reddish, hard wood of such a tree
(countable and uncountable, plural red oaks)
- (usually countable) An oak tree with wood of a red tint, with leaves that have pointed lobes, Quercus rubra, native to eastern North America.
- (usually countable) A similar tree of any species in Quercus subg. Quercus, section Lobatae, found mostly in North America.
- (usually countable, Australia) Carnarvonia araliifolia, a rainforest tree from Australia.
- (usually uncountable) Wood from such trees.
- Agkistrodon contortrix, a venomous snake species found in North America.