The world's largest encyclopedia available on the Web at www.wikipedia.com. Wikipedia is user generated, and anyone can create or edit an article (see wiki). Founded in 2001 by Jimmy Wales, as of 2015, there were more than 25 million articles in more than 250 languages on every conceivable subject on the planet. Wikipedia has been written and edited by millions of contributors, some 70,000 of which are active at any given time. Admired and Criticized Wikipedia's range of subjects is unparalleled, covering topics that would never appear in any conventional encyclopedia, online or print. There are so many "eyes" looking at an entry that erroneous information is often caught rather quickly. However, Wikipedia is also disparaged because people can make edits without divulging their credentials or experience in the subject. In addition, if vendors see comments about their products, nothing stops them from editing the article in their favor. There Is a Hierarchy Although anybody can edit an article, there is a hierarchy. Several hundred Wikipedia administrators have the power to delete entries and block IP addresses to keep people from adding obscene language or stating extremely strong opinions. Jimmy Wales has the ultimate authority. See Wikipedian, Wikia and Uncyclopedia..
The definition of Wikipedia is a free, web-based encyclopedia project which contains information on a wide variety of subjects which are added by contributors from all over the Internet.
An example of Wikipedia is a web-based encyclopedia to which users can contribute.
- Wikipedia: Often maligned for its free, user-generated content, science hounds need not hesitate to begin their search for a science encyclopedia online at the world's most famous online encyclopedia.
- According to Wikipedia, there is some difficulty in defining the eye color "hazel" as it is sometimes considered to be synonymous with light-brown and other times with dark green.
- Google Maps - Google maps can be customized to provide only maps, or maps overlaid with additional information such as photos, videos, webcams and even Wikipedia entries.
- In Brazil the Acai is an important crop because the Acai berry makes up a huge part of the diets of Amazonian people-as much as 42 percent according to Wikipedia.
- Encyclopedia Britannica: The gold-standard in encyclopedias disputed the study comparing Wikipedia favorably with this print encyclopedia, also available online.