A city of northeast Spain on the Mediterranean Sea west-southwest of Barcelona. Formerly a provincial capital of Roman Spain, it remains an important cultural center.x
- There is more than one meaning of Tarragona discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.
- Evoked to the royal court a prosecution for abduction pending before the archbishop of Tarragona, declaring that the archbishop and the official were incompetent to judge noblemen.
- TORTOSA, a fortified city of north-east Spain, in the province of Tarragona; 40 m.
- Of the city of Tarragona, on the river Ebro 22 M.
- For the next five years he sought every opportunity of inflicting defeat and humiliation on the Spanish navy, and he distinguished himself by his bravery in the engagement at Guetaria (1638), the expedition to Corunna (1639), and in battles at Tarragona (1641), Barcelona (1643), and the Cabo de Gata.