Origin of Ohiofrom French from Iroquoian, literally , fine (or large) river river formed by the junction of the Monongahela & the Allegheny at Pittsburgh, flowing southwestward into the Mississippi: 981 mi (1,579 km)
- Midwestern state of the NC U.S.: admitted 1803; 40,948 sq mi (106,056 sq km); cap. Columbus: abbrev. OH or O
Origin of Ohioafter the river
Abbr. OH or O.
A state of the north-central United States south of Lake Erie. It was admitted as the 17th state in 1803. In prehistoric times Mound Builders inhabited the region, which was explored by La Salle in 1669. The French-British rivalry for control of the area led to the last of the French and Indian Wars (1754-1763), in which the French were defeated. Ohio was part of the vast area ceded to the United States by the Treaty of Paris in 1783 and became part of the Northwest Territory by the Ordinance of 1787. It became a separate territory in 1799. Columbus is the capital.x
- I need to drop you off in Ohio now.
- Him being from Ohio and all, really makes me wonder.
- "The man responsible for the abduction and murder of Marcia Stonehurst in Delaware, Jennifer Morley and Deputy Sheriff Baxton in Alabama was wounded in Ohio recently," I blurted out.
- Lake Erie sits north of Ohio for a long stretch so to get into Canada going east; he'd enter in New York State, around Niagara Falls.
- Dusty wanted nothing more than to order Darian back to Ohio to finish one mess before dragging them into another.