Origin of Nebraskafrom Omaha (a Siouan language) nibdhathka, literally , flat river, flat water, name for the Platte River
Midwestern state of the NC U.S.: admitted 1867; 76,872 sq mi (199,099 sq km); cap. Lincoln: abbrev. NE, Neb, or Nebr
Abbr. NE or Nebr.
A state of the central United States in the Great Plains. It was admitted as the 37th state in 1867. The region became part of the United States through the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and was made a separate territory by the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. Its present boundaries were established in 1861. Lincoln is the capital and Omaha the largest city.x
- I'm from Nebraska originally.
- The compromise was specifically repealed by the Kansas-Nebraska Bill of 1854.
- I crossed the mighty Missouri River, leaving agrarian Nebraska in my rear view window.
- The sequel was the repeal of the Missouri Compromise in the Kansas-Nebraska Bill of 1854.
- By the Missouri and Big Sioux rivers, which separate it from Nebraska and South Dakota.