An area in extreme southern New Mexico and Arizona south of the Gila River. It was purchased by the United States from Mexico in 1853 to ensure territorial rights for a practicable southern railroad route to the Pacific Coast.
It was during this term also that the Gadsden Purchase was consummated, by which 45,535 sq.
The Gadsden Purchase (see Gadsden, James), concluded on the 30th of December 1853, and proclaimed by President Pierce on the 30th of June 1854, added to the Territory an area of 45,535 sq.
This strip, known as the " Gadsden Purchase " (see Gadsden, James), was bought in 1854 by the United States, which took possession in 1856.