Suburb of Hartford, Conn., on the Connecticut River opposite Hartford.
Manchester was originally a part of the township of Hartford, and later a part of the township of East Hartford.
The first settlement within its present limits was made about 1672; the land was bought from the Indians in 1676; and the township was separated from East Hartford and incorporated in 1823.
A stone arch bridge, with nine arches, built of granite at a cost of $1,700,000 and dedicated in 1908, spans the Connecticut (replacing the old Connecticut river bridge built in 1818 and burned in 1895), and connects Hartford with the village of East Hartford in the township of East Hartford (pop. 1900, 6406), which has important paper-manufacturing and tobacco-growing interests.
In 1768 paper mills were erected at Norwich, and in 1776 at East Hartford.