- (Australia, slang, dated) A native of New Guinea.
- (Australia, slang, very pejorative) An Australian aborigine.
First used by soldiers in New Guinea. Suggested sources are
- Malay boong (“brother”),
- Indonesian dialectal bung (“brother”)
- A New Guinea native language
- An Aboriginal Australian language.
Previously the word binghi was used widely in similar fashion to the present-day use of the term Negro for peoples of African ancestry, see titles from this booklist and also writings of Xavier Herbert (e.g. in Capricornia), for example.