Origin of Tallahasseefrom Creek talwahasi from talwa, town + hasi, old
The capital of Florida, in the northwest part of the state. Near the site of a former Native American village and a Spanish mission, it was selected as the location for the territorial capital in 1824 because it was midway between Pensacola and St. Augustine.x
- Tallahassee is served by the Seaboard Air Line and the Georgia, Florida & Alabama railways.
- Tallahassee is the capital of the state.
- In 1852 Tallahassee established a public school; and in 1860 there were, according to a report of the United States census, 2032 pupils in the public schools of the state, and 4486 in " academies and other schools."
- Of Tallahassee, in Wakulla county, is the Wakulla Spring, about 106 ft.
- Wide and extending from Tallahassee to Lake Okeechobee.