- The definition of spendthrift is wasteful or extravagant.
An example of spendthrift used as an adjective is a spendthrift teenager.
- Spendthrift is defined as a person who overspends, or who spends money in an irresponsible way.
An example of a spendthrift is a person who spends hundreds of dollars on purses and shoes she can't afford.
One who spends money recklessly or wastefully.
Wasteful or extravagant: spendthrift bureaucrats.
Origin of spendthriftspend thrift accumulated wealth (obsolete)
- During his absence she married the profligate spendthrift, P. Cornelius Dolabella.
- Was a spendthrift and a bigot.
- That might be true, but there was no point in working at becoming a spendthrift simply because he had money.
- (1453-1474), king of Castile, surnamed the Impotent, or the Spendthrift, was the son of John II.
- In spite of his somewhat extravagant living, he left an ample fortune to his spendthrift son, who did his best to squander it as soon as possible.