- temperate or sparing in the use of alcoholic liquor
- not drunk
- temperate in any way; not extreme or extravagant
- serious, solemn, grave, or sedate
- not bright, garish, or flashy; quiet; plain: said of color, clothes, etc.
- not exaggerated or distorted: the sober truth
- characterized by reason, sanity, or self-control; showing mental and emotional balance
Origin of soberMiddle English sobre from Old French from Classical Latin sobrius from so(d)-, variant, variety of se(d)-, without + ebrius, drunk