A map showing Pakistan.
Pakistan is a country in southern Asia.
An example of Pakistan is the country of which Islamabad is the capital.
country in S Asia, on the Arabian Sea: formed from parts of former British India, it became a dominion (1947-56) & a republic (1956-72; 1989-99) of the Commonwealth: 310,403 sq mi (803,940 sq km); cap. Islamabad
A country of South Asia. Occupying land crisscrossed by ancient invasion paths, Pakistan was the home of the prehistoric Indus Valley civilization, which flourished until overrun by Aryans c. 1500 BC. After being conquered by numerous rulers and powers, it passed to the British as part of India and became a separate Muslim state in 1947. The country originally included the Bengalese territory of East Pakistan, which achieved its separate independence in 1971 as Bangladesh. Pakistan became a republic in 1956. Islamabad is the capital and Karachi the largest city.x
- Fortunately, since Iowa is exactly halfway around the world from Pakistan, we were able to visit countries in Asia, including India and Nepal, Europe, and even Northern Africa.
- The globetrotting couple was seen in Pakistan, where a pregnant Angelina Jolie toured earthquake-devastated areas as a goodwill ambassador for the U.N.
- When speaking about oriental area rugs, the term refers to rug designs with influences from a large portion of Asia, from as far east as China, all the way to Pakistan, Turkey, Iran and India, including what was formerly known as Persia.
- Users from all around the world, including individuals from Norway, Brunei, Trinidad and Tobago, and Pakistan spent more time on the site per visit than those in the United States.
- Some people associate nose jewelry with the Hindu religion because of this; however, Muslim women and children in India, as well as Pakistan, also wear nostril rings.