- the act or words of a person who greets; salutation; welcome
- [often pl.] a message of regards from someone absent
A common greeting is "hello".
The definition of a greeting is a word or movement to welcome someone.
An example of a greeting is the phrase, "Hello! How are you"?
A word or gesture of welcome or salutation.
(countable and uncountable, plural greetings)
- Present participle of greet.
- The ceremony is a kind of greeting by which they wish each other "a happy new year."
- After greeting the group with a hearty wave, he proudly handed a surprised Cynthia Dean a wad of bills.
- Damian accepted his hand in greeting, looking around.
- He pulled the truck onto the highway, smiling in anticipation of her passionate greeting when he walked into the house.
- With loving greeting to the little cousins, and Mrs. Hale and a sweet kiss for yourself, From your little friend, HELEN A. KELLER.