- the woodwind instruments of an orchestra, or the players of these instruments
- any of such instruments
- designating a wind instrument made, esp. originally, of wood, as the flute, clarinet, or oboe
- of or composed for such an instrument or instruments
- A wind instrument in which sound is produced by the vibration of reeds in the mouthpiece, as a bassoon, clarinet, oboe, or saxophone, or by the passing of air across the mouthpiece, as a flute.
- woodwindsa. The section of a band or orchestra composed of woodwind instruments.b. Woodwind instruments or their players considered as a group.
- Related to a woodwind instrument.