- An example of a wiki is Wikipedia.
- An example of wiki is for someone in Hawaii to tell you to hurry what you are doing by saying "wiki, wiki."
- a Web application that allows any visitor to a website to edit that website's content
- such an editable website
Origin of wikiHaw, literally , fast
Origin of wikiOriginally an abbreviation of WikiWikiWeb software developed by American computer programmer Howard G. Cunningham (born 1949) Hawaiian wikiwiki quick ( akin to Tahitian viti, vitiviti deft ) ( from Proto-Eastern-Polynesian witi ) web
(third-person singular simple present wikis, present participle wikiing, simple past and past participle wikied)
- (proscribed) .
- Users at Wikipedia have written an essay criticizing this usage: "Don't abbreviate Wikipedia as Wiki".
wiki - Computer Definition
- Quick or fast, in the Hawaiian language.
- A type of authoring software that enables users to easily and quickly create and edit Web server content using any browser.
A website that can be quickly edited by its visitors with simple formatting rules. Developed by Ward Cunningham in the mid-1990s to provide collaborative discussions, there are several "wiki" tools on the market for creating such sites, including www.editme.com, www.seedwiki.com, www.socialtext.com and www.eurekster.net. Cunningham's site is http://c2.com/cgi/wiki. "Wiki wiki" means "quick" in Hawaiian. See Web 2.0 and Wikipedia.